Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Discovering sulky blendables

I recently came across some thread called Sulky Blendables in 12wt and 35wt. It's supposedly used for quilting but I bought a few different colors just to play and try them out...


Midnight Sky (4022)
Royal Navy (4055)
Saucy Sages (4037)
Storm Clouds (4028)
Periwinkles (4056)


330 yards per spool

$5.99 per spool




The 35wt, obviously, is for machine quilting... but... the 12WT... this can be a great alternative to hand-dyed floss. On 28-32 count fabric, one strand over 2 threads. One strand is like using 2 strand floss. I'm working on a tiny sampling using Storm Clouds. I like the color transitions and coverage. Impressive. Will post a picture at a later date.

I love the samplers of Jan Houtman that are just one or two colors. The samplers are so huge... for example, the ABC Sampler

http://www.hand-dyedfibers.com/oscnuked/modules.php?name=catalog&file=product_info&manufacturers_id=38&products_id=1925

At 2 x 2 on 28 ct, uses 200 yards EACH of two colors or 400 yards of one color.

-- Silk thread : Comes in 5 yard skeins. If using 2 strands, a skein would yield 15 yards. You would need 27 skeins to do this project. HDF is $1.25 per skein. Cost would be $33.75

-- DMC cotton : There are 8 yards per skein. If using 2 strands, a skein would yield 25 yards. 17 skeins would be needed. At $.50 per skein for a solid color, cost would be $8.50

-- Sulky Blendables : There is 330 yards per spool. On 28 - 32 count, you would use one strand. Not only do you get the beautiful transitions and coverage, each spool runs about $6.

I've recently been collecting designs and reviewing the Quaker Inspired blog. I just might do a Quaker sampler in Saucy Sages. How cool would that be.


Red Rock Threads: http://www.redrockthreads.com/sulky-thread/sulky-blendables-thread-12wt.asp

Ohhhhh... just something to get excited about.


No comments: