Sunday, February 14, 2010

Works in progress for February

Jessica and Aiden have been visiting from Arizona since the last week of January. Really fun crafting buddy… got a chance to reorganize my room even more. Doing some serious categorizing.


:::: JOSI :::::



Rosewood Manor : Quaker Diamonds : calls for Valdani floss, however, I’m using Weeks Dye works and Gentle Arts threads. In comparison, Gentle Arts is a thicker thread that covers 25 ct (2 over 2) very nicely. Weeks Dye works thread has a more delicate look… not as subtle



Machine Embroidery Cross Stitch: ... finally figured out how to program my sewing machine to do cross stitch designs.


I found a design I liked from the Prairie Schooler : A Prairie Garden, charted it with the 3D Embroidery software, then transferred it to my USB stick to the machine. I couldn’t find a conversion chart that converts DMC to SULKY, so I used my imagination. The thistle’s came out quite pretty. I did three versions.

• 1.9mm – 4 thrds 13 ct
• 1.4mm – 2 thrds 18 ct.
• 1 mm – 2 thrds 28 ct.









Practiced with a heart design, using variegated threads.

Two versions:

  • 13 count : 2mm : 4 threads (double) - This size looks like the most common size I use for regular cross stitch. 28 count, 2 over 2 threads.
  • 15 count : 1.7mm : 2 threads (single) - Delicate look, can kind of see "white" between the threads. Might be a better idea to use double threads to make it look more subtle.







Altoid Tins

The objective for the smaller designs are for the Altoid Tins… which I have at least 20 of. The tin designs should measure 85mm x 50mm.

The thistle is cross stitch 28 count. I used 40wt thread on top and 60wt thread on the bottom. The design kind of looked bunched up. I found some 60wt thread in colors and will try when the threads come in.

It's kind of a challenge to find small designs that will fit on this tin. What I should do is attempt to resize the design to 50mm x 85mm and use the 60 wt thead to see if it makes a difference.

Using muslin for these samples. Have some marbled fabric in different colors that may give it a different look.

Design 165 french quaker : This design was from a book called Repertoire des FRISES by Valerie Lejeune. I mistakenly purchased 2 yards of evenweave fabric that was not quite even and I don’t think was meant for regular cross stitch. After machine stitching the design on this fabric, it looks like it was hand stitched. After construction, I stuffed it with walnut shells.






Note… going forward there were some things that need be considered.

  • After working the first color, snip off all the "trailing" threads before working the next color. When I started snipping after the design was complete, it was difficult to pull out the trailing threads.
  • Use water soluble stabilizer. Stabilizer must complete be taken off after stitching is complete or else it will be hard to stick pins into cushion through stabilizer.
  • Stuffing : don't use kittly litter... if it gets wet, it will clump. Don't use buckwheat hulls... attracts bugs. Alternatives are polyester fiberfill, sterilized sand, crushed walnut shells, emery.



    Long Dog Samplers : Bienvenue. This is a birth sampler for Aiden.

I don't quite like the fabric I chose... considering doing over on 32 count lugana.

  • Sulky Blendables Size 12 (Periwinkles : 4056)
  • 1 thread over 2
  • 32 count Lambswool Linen from Wichelt


:::: JESSICA ::::

Wine and grapes designs : Using 16 count natural Aida. The design was free from Club-point-de-croix.com. What is nice about these designs is that it does not require backstitching. It features 4 different images. Jessica has already completed two.


No comments: