Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Burntwater Rug : Cross stitch by machine


This design is called Burntwater from NP Designs.

Sample in cross stitch by machine

--Size : 60 stitches x 100 stitches - 110mm x 190mm - approx. 7-1/2" x 4-1/2"
-- 2.0mm - 6 threads - 13 count

The design took about 1/2 an hour to digitize and transfer onto the sewing machine.

--Top thread : 40wt Anton Robison embroidery cotton (no sheen).
-- Bottom thread : is 60WT white.


Regular stabilizer used was not tear away or water soluble. Fabric used was very thin muslin.


It went well with the black and white.. the coverage was impressive and tight....but the green was a bit much for the machine... the first sign of trouble was when the machine went off by one stitch on the left... the second sign was when the machine started sounding like it was working hard than it did in the beginning... it was time to stop and inspect the bottom.



... and sure enough... it started to bunch up at the bottom. It corrected itself after I changed the bobbin thread. I continued the design until it was done with the green. Gold and red were next but I decided the machine had enough stress for one sitting. It had been working straight for about 2 hours.

I wouldn't try this again on a design that does full coverage. These kinds of designs are best worked by hand but what is interesting about this design is that it's geometric nature can easily be adapted into a quilt design. I've done blocks in a row but never working from the center out... which is what this design entails. I think I'll try that next. Hmm... creative juices are starting to flow.

No comments: