Monday, February 22, 2010

Quilt Labels

I've pieced together 8 quilts last year (2009) and finally "sandwiched" and quilted three of them in December/January 2010. After all three were done, Jess says, "how come you never label your quilts?". Ha! Don't know. Didn't think I had to. Yet another inspriational thing to think about.
Options for Label types:


  1. PRINTED LABELS: Find a label (or frame) on-line, copy and paste it into word
    or graphics editor... custom enter your info... then print on fabric (using
    Colorfast printer fabric sheets). I'm assuming it should be printed on an inkjet
    printer. Looks like this... http://www.amazon.com/June-Tailor-Colorfast-Inkjet-Fabric/dp/B000K2GXT0

  2. IRON ON TRANSFERS: write in info using PIGMA pens. Don't know if this is
    washable.... might want to attempt on a wall hanging. Something like this
    maybe... http://www.amazon.com/American-School-Transfers-Labels-AS-4188/dp/B001K69GHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1266869215&sr=1-1

  3. PRE-PRINTED Labels : Labels preprinted on fabric, color in using brush-tip
    dye pens. More info here... http://www.softexpressions.com/software/notions/labels.htm

  4. Embroidery a label using HV 3D embroidery software.

For the three quilts I finished, I chose option #3. using a couple of designs that came pre-packaged with the software. Of course, it took FOREVER to do this right... BUT, in the long run... it's 100% washable.

I got the Leisure Arts 50 Nifty Iron-on Quilt Labels but then I realized that this version is like option #3. I have to color it in with fabric markers. Hmm... more investment in fabric color markers if I go this route.





APPLYING THE LABEL

    1. Sew the label to the BACK of the quilt before it's quilted. Quilt through
      the label.

    2. Use double-sided fusible interfacing to iron on to the back of the quilt,
      then hand-sew around the edges.

No comments: